SoftBank Robotics Labs is a set of public SBR projects (experimental code snippets, helper libraries, etc.) hosted on GitHub for anybody developing for Pepper and NAO.
Pepper Task Synchroniser is an Android Library designed to synchronise a task across multiple Pepper robots, or in other words, to execute an action or task simultaneously.
The library relies on a 3rd party solution called Chirp. This product sends encoded ultrasonic sounds from a sender device with a speaker (such as a laptop) and the receiver application (Pepper), which when detected are used to run a task. This solution has several advantages over traditional network based synchronisation methods:
- The sender and receiver can be both in Airplane mode, the only requirement is a device with a speaker
- The range of the signal is limited only by the power of the speaker
- The sound sent is ultrasonic, which means it is undetectable to the human ear
- The solution is scalable, there is no upper limit to the number of robots that can simultaneously hear the signal
- Once started, the task can easily be stopped by sending a STOP signal. This is not always the case with network triggered tasks.
For more details on this project such as prerequisites, usage and testing notes, please go and see the project on Github.