Pepper's OS Release Note 2.9.4
NAOqi is Pepper’s Operating System, the main software that runs on the robot and controls it. QiSDK is the specific software development kit for Pepper android (aka Pepper QiSDK). This public Release Note intends to give a brief review of the last notable changes impacting developers.
Current versions and links
Current Naoqi version of the system is 126.96.36.199
NAOqi 2.9.4 is compatible with QiSDK API level 3 and above.
If you want to be able to benefit from the new APIs of QiSDK API level 6, you just have to robotify your application with API 6.
The development tools follow a much faster release pace, so make sure you follow their updates on the documentation
Since 16/12/2019, latest versions are:
New features and improvements since 2.9.3
- Face Detection: Detection robustification through okao face detection lib upgrade
Speech Bar: The Immersive speechbar has been created to take less space on the tablet (so more space for your content).
It is also possible to put any Speech Bar (Always, Overlay, Immersive) at the bottom of the tablet to give some space at the top for customer's branding and logo.
- Custom ChatBot: New API Is Chatbot Available: you can use this API to dynamically enable and disable the use of your custom ChatBot without stopping the chat.
VSLAM (Visual Slam): LocalizeAndMap and Localize now use stereo images on Pepper equipped with stereo cameras( Only Pepper version 1.8).
There is no code modification required to benefit from the VSLAM.
It allows Pepper to correctly map environments containing loops. It also allows Pepper to localize itself in environments with no obstacles close to it.
As Pepper now uses the images of the stereo cameras to localise itself, it needs to have some "anchor points" on the walls and/or furniture (example: it will be difficult to localise itself if the walls are all the same, black/white/etc, without any distinctive characteristic/point).
New GoTo API: It is now possible to customize the GoTo action. You can specify if :
- Pepper will try to go around obstacles or go straight to the target and stop if there is an obstacle in front of it.
- Pepper will take the orientation it had when you saved a position or don't take into account the orientation (just go to the target).
- Pepper will go at the default speed or faster.
New Power Hatch API: The new Power service exposes in the QiSDK the charging flap state (open or closed).
This will help developers to advise users when manipulating Pepper (setup, etc...)
- New Freeze Base Parameter: It allows to prevents rotational movements of the robot base (while Power Flat closed).
New ApproachHuman API: Make Pepper move closer to a specific human in order to start the interaction with this one.
HumanAwareness gives a suggestion via getRecommendedHumanToApproach method.
New Pepper tablet preview in Android Studio: You can now switch to Pepper’s tablet in Android Studio layout editor.
This will give you a preview on a device which has the right size and definition. It is also possible to display three kinds of SpeechBar.
Bug fixes since 2.9.3
Most of bugs that were making Naoqi crash (Pepper in the rest position with red shoulders) have been fixed. This version is a lot more stable than the previous one.
- New plugin
- New animation editor in Android Studio
- New localization setup app and library: improve people detection using lasers to better notice movements. Available on Command Center Store
- No more issue when losing the internet connection and a Chat is running.
- No more animated speech when they are Bookmarks and variable assignments in Topics
- Robot head now goes back to Idle position if a Chat is running and there is no one visible by Pepper
- Pepper goes now to listening state faster when the robot ends speaking
- New Security mesures have been implemented.
- Kiosk Client (v1.3.1) ease the use for developments and Production tests using Command Center on the same robot
- Code samples are now available in Kotlin in all sections.
- Added SpeechBar strategies and SpeechBar positions sections.
- Explain how to use the Layout Editor to preview the layouts including the Speechbar.
- A new section about the Animation Editor.
- Added graphical specification and show the different design of the SpeechBar in Conversation Feedback.
Main remaining known issues
Please take a look at the development tools known issues.
In a nutshell
- NAOqi 2.9.4
- APIs 3 to 6
- Android Studio Pepper Plugin 1.3.14
- QiSDK 1.6.7
- Emulator 2019-10-29
The updated OS version is automatically available with your robot. If not, please contact the support team.
For technical help, please select your part of the world and fill in the dedicated contact form