NAOqi 2.4.2 available for Pepper
This is the month of releases! On Tuesday 20th, we announced the release of NAOqi 2.1.4 for NAO. Today, it is Pepper’s turn to feel the goodness of NAOqi 2.4.2.
If you are a Pepper owner, this version is common to all hardware versions of Pepper. Whether you are using software version 2.0.6 or 2.3.1 at the moment, you are all welcome to upgrade to this new one. This is really good news as it allows a smoother collaboration between developers.
You can read the release note here and the changelog here.
Please note that if your Pepper is running on NAOqi 2.0.6, you need to make sure you have upgraded your CPU (from 1.0 to 1.6) before updating to 2.4.2. We have sent this information to all customers whose Peppers’ can be upgraded, but please check yourselves too.
With this new release, Pepper owners will discover a lot of enhancements:-
- Pepper’s moving abilities have been improved. We’ve made changes to allow the legs to move both the hip and knee joints, while wheeling.
- Peppers head now moves in a smoother manner. Head movements can now track people without jerking or stepping.
- The sleep mode is easier to identify. Now Pepper status LEDs stay lit in purple.
- The tablet also has additional features. Pepper’s MAC addresses are now displayed in the network section.
- With developer tools improvements, our main focus has been to improve Choregraphe, and we have fixed numerous bugs that caused crashes. We have also made the timeline easier to use.
- We have worked on new documentation guides for developing applications.
- Initially just distributed to developers, those documents are now available to everybody online.
Don’t forget that you don’t need a real robot to play with our SDKS - you just need to join our Developer Program for free to access to all our software.
To download all the software you need, just head to ‘Downloads’.
Regarding the update process on Pepper, you need to touch the display and start "Setting Application" from the application lists. The available update notice will pop-up and you can touch the “Upgrade Now" button. Pepper will restart automatically after a while.
As usual, we hope you’ll appreciate this new release. Feel free to post on the forum in case there’s anything specific to report. Have fun!